Date of Submission:
Table of Contents
1. Identifying the ADMC Business Department Quality Policy and compare it with the ISO9001:2008 requirements. 4
1.1. Quality Policy 4
1.2. ADMC Business Department Quality Policy. 4
1.3. Comparing the two policies 5
1.4. Rewriting the policy wherever necessary 6
1.5. Quality Policy Statement: 6
1.6. New quality policy for the ADMC Business department following the ISO 9001:2008 requirements. 7
2. Identifying the ADMC Business Department Quality Objectives. (15 marks) 7
2.1.1. Quality Objective 2: Improve the Effectiveness of the Quality Management System 7
2.1.2. Quality Objective 3: Improve the development of goals through ACBSP Objectives using S.M.A.R.T. Indicators 8
2.2. Identifying how SMART each objective is and checking how it is accredited to the ISO 9001:2008 requirements 8
2.3. TWO new SMART Quality Objectives for ADMC Business Department. 10
3. TWO different key processes that teachers are required to follow 11
3.1. Policy Statement 11
3.1.1. Assessment instruments process: 11
3.1.2. Process of risk management Considerations and Assessments 12
3.2. Process Map using the conventions 13
3.2.1. First process: Assessment instruments process: 13
3.2.2. Second process: Process of risk management Considerations and Assessments 14
3.3. Commenting on how well the processes are followed by all teachers. 15
4. Guidelines for an organization who want to apply for the ISO9000 certification. 15
4.1. Identifying and explaining each of the steps that must be taken by the organization to achieve certification. 15
4.2. Providing advice to the organization for choosing their accreditation body and the requirement of training 16
5. References 18
Identifying the ADMC Business Department Quality Policy and compare it with the ISO9001:2008 requirements.
Quality Policy helps in identifying the factors and attributes that are to be maintained as per the predetermined standards and norms that are developed in the form of policies across the organizations. The development of quality policy has to be carried out with extensive care and concern. The values and the practices that are to be inculcated in the organization has to be taken in to consideration. The Quality Policy of the Abu Dhabi Men’s College Business Department has been obtained, it has been evaluated as per the international ISO Standard of 9001 that was developed in 2008. After evaluating, the factors or elements that are to be improved are identified and suitable solutions are developed and improvisations or modifications in their quality policy has been suggested after the evaluation and discussion.
ADMC Business Department Quality Policy.
The business department quality policy that has been established in the ADMC requires considering the different management strategies and practices that would contribute in obtaining a quality policy as per the international standards of quality. It has been provided in the section below:
The Management of the Business Department continually reviews and improves the effectiveness of the Quality Manual and ensures that the Quality Policy:
• “is appropriate to the purposes of the Business Department
• includes a commitment to comply with requirements, and continually review and improve the effectiveness of the Quality Manual
• provides a framework for establishing and reviewing Quality Objectives,
• is communicated and understood within the Business Department, and
• is reviewed and updated continually to suit the Department for continuing suitability” (ADMC BUSINESS DEPARTMENT, 2014)
Requirements of the ISO 9001 standard
The quality policy that has to be obtained through the ISO 9001 International standard has been mentioned below:
It has to be made sure by the top management that the quality policy
a) “Is appropriate to the purpose of the organization,
b) Includes a commitment to comply with requirements and continually improve the effectiveness of the quality management system,
c) Provides a framework for establishing and reviewing quality objectives,
d) Is communicated and understood within the organization, and
e) Is reviewed for continuing suitability” (ISO 9001, 2008).
Comparing the two policies
On comparing the quality policy of the ADMC Business Department with the ISO 9001 standard quality policy, it can be seen that the quality policy developed in ADMC Business Department is on the basis of the management of business across different operations that are related to the development of a business. It is very much inclined towards the business department in the ADMC. On the other hand, in the ISO 9001 standard quality policy, there is a considerable amount of emphasis on the top management of the organization. It considers the factors pertaining to the functioning of the top management and maintain the quality accordingly.
Rewriting the policy wherever necessary
The process that has been adopted in the ADMC Business Department to ensure that high quality and standards are followed through the development of the quality policy involves certain parameters to be reconsidered and reframed. It involves developing the policy on the basis of terms that are also important in determining the quality policy for an organization.
The policy should:
• Consider the well-being of the employees while performing the activities in the business,
• Develop measures for the sustainability of the processes that are carried in the organization
• Ensure that environmental benefits are obtained and the hazards that may be caused to the surroundings are reduced extensively.
• Frame a structure that would be extremely friendly an favorable for the development of a motivated and positive atmosphere that would be related to assuring high quality through their performance.
Quality Policy Statement:
A quality policy statement can be termed as a statement that provides the declaration of the quality that would be provided through the products and services that are developed in an organization. The business is entirely dependent on the development of a quality statement that helps in defining the quality management system. It helps in ensuring the customers that the organization would be offering products of a specific level or caliber. The quality statement that is developed by the ADMC business department involves fulfilling the requirements of high quality and standards that are developed throughout the objectives set for the business department. It is very important to ensure quality in any of the businesses that is handled by the ADMC business department.
New quality policy for the ADMC Business department following the ISO 9001:2008 requirements.
Identifying the ADMC Business Department Quality Objectives. (15 marks)
Two of the ADMC Business quality objectives have been described in the section below:
Quality Objective 2: Improve the Effectiveness of the Quality Management System
For this objective, the quality indicators have been identified and they are as follows:
Quality Indicator 2.1. ISO 9001:2008 Certification Status:
“The Business Department should achieve ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management and Leadership certification by June 2013 and maintain certification status through successful surveillance visits afterwards.
(KPI = Y/N) “.
Quality Indicator 2.2. Continuous Improvement of the Quality Management System:
“Business Department should continually improve its Processes and Forms to meet and exceed Faculty expectations about the usefulness and effectiveness of the Quality Management System. Business Department meetings will discuss the QMS every year, and make recommendations for improvements, and then a subsequent Management Review will make decision on the required changes. The indicator is if change has taken place, or not. (KPI = Y/N)”. (ADMC BUSINESS DEPARTMENT, 2014).
Quality Objective 3: Improve the development of goals through ACBSP Objectives using S.M.A.R.T. Indicators
One of the other objective that has been developed by the Business department consists of developing the SMART indicators for a business. There are many quality indicators that are set for the same. It involves developing the specific goals that can be utilized for improving the quality as well as other processes that are carried across the business department. The objectives have to be improved through the “Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP)”. Such quality can be established in the level of teaching that is adopted by the teachers in these departments.
It has to be provided through effective teaching of the topics, proper counselling activities and advisory committees, carrying administrative activities across the system, providing provisions for research and related projects to the students for improving their knowledge and enhancing their technical skills, presenting the research through presentation in order to develop effective communication skills while learning. While developing such qualities and features across the entire structure for the students, it can adopt the SMART objective indicator to fulfil the requirements of the business.
Identifying how SMART each objective is and checking how it is accredited to the ISO 9001:2008 requirements
SMART characteristic can be achieved through developing objectives as per its elements that include the following variables:
It refers to developing each and every details that are to be carried out through different tasks in the organizations. The two objectives that have been discussed above are described in details in its description and it is very important to develop the detailed structure that is to be followed in the ADMC.
The objective developed across the system should be measureable. It can be obtained through the several quality indicators that help in measuring the quality prevailing in the ADMC.
Agreed by the management
The goals and objectives that are set should be attainable or achievable and there should be a general agreement of the management about it. The quality objectives that are set by the ADMC are such that it influences the achievability of the goals that are developed by them in the two objectives that are mentioned above.
Realistic or relevant:
The goals and objectives that are to be studied and achieved have to be realistic and relevant. It is on the basis of this, that the two objective related to the quality management in ADMC are logical and are relevant to the business department of the organization.
The objectives that are developed in the organization has to be following certain time structure. There should be estimated time that should be provided to each and every task in the organization. It will help in attaining the goals and ensuring higher quality in the ADMC business department.
TWO new SMART Quality Objectives for ADMC Business Department.
The objectives that have been identified across the ADMC Business Department consists of various parameters that need to be assessed with respect to the attainment of the SMART indicators through these objectives. In the first objective, there are factors that have to be reconsidered that are related to obtaining effectiveness in the Quality Management system across the departments. It needs to be more time bound and measurable. The effectiveness of the business department can be accurately measured through the developed objectives that requires improvements in its structure. The attainment of the SMART indicators in the second objective of the business department that is related to the development of goals involves emphasizing on the relevant term of the SMART indicators. The setting of goals has to be prioritized through its relevancy.
The above considered two objectives have been evaluated and on the basis of that, the objectives that involves the achievement of SMART indicator has been described below:
1. It should be observed that the effectiveness across the quality management system has to be achieved through the development of the targets that would be helping in maintaining the quality as well as the standards that is required to be incorporated in the system consisting of the Business Department of ADMC. It involves making the processes that are developed throughout the structure time oriented and developing a timeline for achieving the same.
2. The evidences that are obtained after evaluating the two objectives quality policy that is developed by the ADMC Business Department and has been mentioned in the above section consists of attaining the welfare of the employees by providing them with employee engagement activities and recognition in the organization. It will help in obtaining a sustainable and positive vibes in the organization which in turn will help in attaining all the SMART indicators that are to be obtained from the business.
TWO different key processes that teachers are required to follow
Assessment instruments process:
There should be proper assessment instruments developed in the ADMC by the professors. It includes obtaining the following things:
Professors should get all assessment specifications form the Department Course Team Leader who uses the general CSA templates to define the structure of all assessments, and upload the specifications to the CAF Folders.
• “If the Professor teaches the course alone, he/she needs to discuss all assessment specifications with the Academic Coordinators or the Program Chair.
• Professors should write their own assessments and make as many different versions as many sections they teach. They do not combine classes for mid-terms, or finals.
• Professors prepare assessments that are practical, and apply the knowledge Students obtain throughout the semester, and make sure that the Marking Schemes is detailed enough to allocate marks accurately.
• For Quantitative Courses (Maths, Accounting, Operations Management, Statistics, management Science, etc.) it is required to provide Formula Sheets for the Students for every assessment.
• Assessment must not contain ‘alternative questions or ‘optional questions’ for further marks.
• Assessments should be easy enough to minimally pass, but challenging enough not to get a top grade easily. They should target a normal distribution of grades.
• For Pre-Moderation, Course Team Leaders (Academic Coordinators or Program Chair) sign off the assessments and marking schemes before they are in use, in case the Course Team Leader teaches the course alone, the Academic Coordinator releases the assessments” (ADMC BUSINESS DEPARTMENT, 2014).
Process of risk management Considerations and Assessments
Risk management plays an important role in the management of key processes that are to be followed. It includes developing the following procedures through the policy statement.
• Professors must keep their raw grades until the end of semester, so if the Grade Book fails, they still have their records.
• Professors keep the non-electronic copies of all assessments at least for a year, in case the Student challenges the grades later they have the evidence at hand.
• Professors keep their CAF Folders complete up-to-date, but they also contribute to the HCT e-CAF Folders as required. If any of the two fails, the other serves as a backup.
• Professors share their resources with the Students in Blackboard Learn, but they also keep learning re-sources on the X:\ Drive so they can re-build Black-board any time (ADMC BUSINESS DEPARTMENT, 2014).
Process Map using the conventions
First process: Assessment instruments process:
Second process: Process of risk management Considerations and Assessments
Commenting on how well the processes are followed by all teachers.
The processes are handled very well by the teachers through proper completion of the tasks and developing a consistent accomplishment of the various processes that have been mentioned in the tasks. These processes that are developed in the Business Department of the ADMC has to be evaluated and then appropriate areas that can be improved have to be identified. It involves establishing the policies and goals that are necessary for ensuring high standards and quality in the operations and activities that are carried by the organization. The implementation of the SMART objectives indicators has to be attained through effective utilization of the available resources that has been identified in the two process maps developed in the above sections.
Guidelines for an organization who want to apply for the ISO9000 certification.
Identifying and explaining each of the steps that must be taken by the organization to achieve certification.
The organization that wants to apply for an ISO 9001 certification needs to focus on the following sections of its functioning:
• Basic requirements of a QMS
• Quality Manual requirements
• Quality Policy
• Quality Objectives
• Process Mapping
• Certification Process
• Types of audits
Steps to accreditation has been mentioned below:
• Top management commitment
• Establishing implementation team.
• Starting ISO awareness programs
• Providing training
• Conducting initial status survey
• Creating a documented implementation plan.
• Developing documentation of a quality management system
• Controlling the documentation
• Internal Quality Audit
• Management Review
• Pre-assessment audit
• Certification and Registration
• Continuous improvement
Providing advice to the organization for choosing their accreditation body and the requirement of training
There are many functions that are to be improved for enhancing the management in the ADMC business department and it is one of the most crucial factor in obtaining efficiency across the process. It requires a complete evaluation and understanding of the processes that would help in obtaining success of the business.
ADMC should evaluate the accreditation body before choosing it and check if the certification is adequate to the requirements of ADMC’s business, also they need to check if the certification itself is accredited as the accreditation is not compulsory and non-accredited certifications does not mean that it is not reputable.
United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS) might tend to be a suitable accreditation in the field of Quality Management System where they operate strictly with international standards under a MoU of under the department of business innovation and skills.
ADMC BUSINESS DEPARTMENT. (2014). ORIENTATION 2014-15: BUSINESS DEPARTMENT QUALITY MANUAL. Abu Dhabi: ADMC Business Department.
ISO 9001. (2008). INTERNATIONAL STANDARD. ISO 9001.