Table of Contents
Location description and assessment 3
SWOT Analysis 6
Cultural Heritage Interpretation communicated to the visitors: 9
Marketing and Promotion strategy: 9
The main aim or focus of the research is to identify the outcomes of the Blue Ocean style of Leadership carried and practiced at the place of my work. There are various levels of leaderships which are considered in the Blue Ocean style. There is a combination of these styles that makes up the complete concept of Blue Ocean Leadership. The Blue Ocean strategy was introduced by W. Chan Kim and Renee Mauborgne, in their book named “BLUE OCEAN STRATEGY”. Both of them were the professors of INSEAD and they turned out to be the directors of the INSEAD Institute for the Blue Ocean Leadership. There are various strategies which are to be adopted which would help in creating an uncontested market space for the organizations across the globe. It states that the organizations should make the entire competition pattern irrelevant and look beyond the competition to develop a special niche for themselves in the market.
There are various conceptual and operational definitions on the basis of which, the Blue Ocean Leadership strategy (BOL) have been discussed.
The aim of my Dissertation is to understand the outcomes of Blue Ocean Leadership with a survey study at my current employer. The idea is to focus on the adoption of the to be profiles on the 3 different levels. I would need a literature review on Blue Ocean Strategy linked to Blue Ocean Leadership (both Kim and Mauborgne) and a link to leadership (and maybe change management). Furthermore I could very much use some help on the methodology part, my survey is almost ready, so the structure is there. I attached my draft of the project so far
There ae many astonishing and beautiful ancient structures that have been created in the world. These structures and buildings display the rich culture, tradition and the beliefs of the people and civilizations existing during the time in which these buildings were developed. One of the most famous structure which has been known globally and liked by billions of people across the globe is the “Taj Mahal”. Taj Mahal has brought India on the global world of monuments and ancient structures. The Taj Mahal is one of the biggest and deepest symbol of Love.
Taj Mahal was made by the respectful Mughal Emperor, Shah Jahan for his wife, who was the love of his life, Mumtaz Mahal, who was his third wife. He displayed his love and affection for his wife, that is, Queen Mumtaz Mahal in a very poetic and artistic style. It has been recognized throughout the world as an architectural masterpiece which has been created from highly specialized white marble. It has been mentioned in the UNESCO world heritage list since 1983 and since then it has been visited by millions of foreign visitors in the world as well as by the domestic visitors in India (TAJMAHAL.GOV.COM, 2015).
Location description and assessment
The location of Taj Mahal is of prime importance. It has been made on the beautiful banks of the river Yamuna. There is a path aligned right opposite the Taj Mahal through which the Yamuna River flows. It is a splendid sight to watch the moon shining on Taj Mahal and its reflection in the waters of the Yamuna River. It has a huge area which has been utilized by the magnificently developed large artistic gardens in this area. The monument was built by around 22000 workers which consisted of construction workers and expert architects. It took about 18 years for the completion of this magnificent heritage site as it was started in 1632 AD and completed in 1648 AD (PBS.ORG, 2015).
The Taj Mahal has a guest house as well as an artistic mosque developed in its premises. It is found that there are inscriptions of many Arabic writings from the Quran which have been inscribed in the walls of Taj Mahal. There are many precious stones which were inscribed in the walls as well as one the floor. The floor consists of an extremely customized marble work. The tombs present include the main tomb at the center and accompanied by 4 tall minarets along the four sides of the main building. This develop a very beautiful sight of the Taj Mahal where the presence of the pine trees along the sides of the Yamuna River banks develop a unique picturesque of the location. The entire external view which is created by the presence of the 4 minarets along its sides, the large main tomb, uniquely aligned pine trees along the pathway developed for the waters of Yamuna, all of this contribute in developing one of the most beautiful sight that one can hardly get at any other place in this world. This has led to the including of the Taj Mahal in the UNESCO heritage list in 1983 (TAJMAHAL.GOV.COM, 2015).
As mentioned above, the location of Taj Mahal is very important and it had been chosen wisely by the King during the Mughal time. It is in the holy city of Allahabad in the state of Uttar Pradesh hand is very close to the city of New Delhi. There are many heritage and culture sites in New Delhi as well as in Uttar Pradesh. This has resulted in the outbreak in the number of visitors that are coming to Taj Mahal. The magnificent, state of its kind architecture and splendid sculpture works seen in the Taj Mahal has interested millions of people across the globe and this has resulted in the increasing number of foreign visitors to the Taj Mahal. The development of the Indian Economy and the increase in the standard of living of the people and the increasing anxiety among the Indian people to know the history and culture that existed in the ancient times, has led to a tremendous increase in the number of domestic visitors too. The location is of prime importance as there are many attractions near this area and this adds to the importance of this area. The presence of the Yamuna River near the location of Taj Mahal has increased the flow of people who come here in search of their livelihood and Taj Mahal serves to be one of the most significant source of livelihood of these people.
It is important to understand the promotional and marketing plans adopted for the development of this area and increasing the revenue generated from the area. It has been done through SWOT analysis of the site.
Figure: Taj Mahal
• The location of Taj Mahal and its uniquely created architecture attracts a large number of people across the world.
• Considering and realizing the importance of Taj Mahal and its nearby locations in generation of revenue for the government and the local people, Government of India has introduced special strategies and measures to develop these areas and maintaining the authenticity of the site.
• The inclusion of the Taj Mahal in one of the Seven Wonders of the World, in both, the old list as well as the new list has created high levels of interests in the minds of the people in different countries all over the world.
• In one such step, it cancelled the licenses of many industries that were present in the close vicinity of Taj Mahal. This helped in maintaining a clean environment near Taj Mahal.
• The presence of cool weather in these areas would help the tourists to overcome the scorching heat that would be present in the other plain areas.
• There are many constructions of historical importance that show the rich culture and art of India and the empires that ruled India through the different ages. This has tremendously increase the interest and the visits of the people to these areas.
• The cooperative nature of the locals, their helping attitude and the good levels of hospitality provided by the people of these areas contributes immensely to the increase in the number of visitors to Taj Mahal and nearby areas (PBS.ORG, 2015).
• Unavailability of proper transportation and living amenities in these areas.
• There is very limited marketing of the Taj Mahal which results in unawareness of the people regarding the monument, both nationally as well as internationally.
• There are improper sources of information that provide the required details regarding the development of Taj Mahal, its history and its architecture style.
• During the festive and other seasons, there is over crowding of the location mostly due to the large number of visitors flowing in the location and this reduces the number of foreign visitors and also leads to bad experiences among the visitors.
• There is very less amount of infrastructural support available to these areas.
• There is huge concern for the safety and security of the people near these areas. There is a threat to the security of not only the foreign visitors and tourists but also to the security and safety of the domestic visitors. This has influenced the number of visitors who would have visited the Taj Mahal and its nearby areas for the second time, but did not visit due to the above mentioned reasons.
• Government of India has developed the Incredible India campaign for promoting the architecture, culture and heritage sites of the country across the globe. Taj Mahal is one of the prime location which has been shown in the campaign.
• There are large number of steps taken by the government to maintain the authenticity and integrity of Taj Mahal. They have removed all the sources that would pollute the location or pose a threat to the flow of visitors in these areas.
• There is a huge improvement in the security and safety that has been incorporated by the government for improving the experience of the visitors and to maintain the splendid artistic work in the Taj Mahal.
• There are many rules and measures which are strictly imposed by the government and the maintenance authorities to preserve the uniqueness of the Taj Mahal, the gardens around Taj Mahal and the mosque.
• There is increasing income and interest in the population across the world to experience the cultures of different countries and civilizations and carry extensive research through witnessing and experiencing these locations personally. This has increased the flow of the visitors who come for historical, cultural and architectural research to Taj Mahal.
• There is a huge threat imposed by the industries which are even far from the location but are in the vicinity of the city. Due to the harmful chemical released by these industries, there are occurrences of Acid rains in these areas. This has hugely deteriorated the quality of white marble that has been used in Taj Mahal.
• The plucking and removing of the precious stones, gemstones and other precious materials that were present on the walls and flooring of Taj Mahal has resulted to decrease in the authenticity of the artistic and architectural work present in Taj Mahal.
• There are many environmental hazards which are observed in the nearby areas like unclean roads and city lanes, improper sanitary conditions and unhygienic waste disposal system.
• There are many tourist locations which have been developed and effectively promoted in the neighbouring nations as well as by the other countries across the globe. There are many sites of historical importance which have been discovered by the scientists and archaeologists (PBS.ORG, 2015).
Cultural Heritage Interpretation communicated to the visitors:
The cultural interpretation of the location involves conveying of the information regarding the facts and the chronology and other data pertaining to the Taj Mahal. This involves providing of many information providing brochures, pamphlets and other mediums of information to the visitors which would help them in exploring the historical and the architectural background of the location. This is very important because the visitors would not only be interested in viewing the beautiful and exotic view of Taj Mahal, but they would also be interested in knowing the reason for its development and its history. This involves providing the visitors with an emotional experience of the location and developing a unique human touch with them through the highly proficient guides and other sources of information. It has been promoted globally as the biggest symbol of love and also known as,
“A Memorial to Love” (PBS.ORG, 2015).
Marketing and Promotion strategy:
This involves the development of the 4 marketing mix tools for the development of tourism in these areas. This is carried out as follows:
In our case, the product is the magnificently developed artistic work achieved through excellent architecture in the form of Taj Mahal. The location is of prime importance in developing the marketing strategies and this provides with a large number of opportunities for the marketing of Taj Mahal. The state of the art architecture and beautiful gardens present in its vicinity also contribute to the influence of the product.
The location of the Taj Mahal is in the religious and cultural city of Allahabad. This provides a huge advantage to the development of tourism in these areas as it would attract more number of visitors.
Developing a marketing strategy involves considering the price that is in the form of fees and taxes that would be collected from the visitors coming to this place. There is a very small and affordable amount which has been charged for the visit which involves an additional charge for photography of the location.
It is one of the most significant element of the marketing mix for Taj Mahal as it involves in creating awareness and anxiety in the minds of the people regarding Taj Mahal as well as the history and culture that existed during the ancient times. This factors have been very well achieved through coordinated efforts carried in the Incredible India campaign (PBS.ORG, 2015).
Thus, it can be seen that the Taj Mahal can contribute immensely to the tourism industry of the country and there are many efforts which are to be taken for encouraging the people across the world to visit the Taj Mahal.
PBS.ORG, 2015. Taj Mahal: Memorial to Love. [Online]
Available at: http://www.pbs.org/treasuresoftheworld/a_nav/taj_nav/main_tajfrm.html
TAJMAHAL.GOV.COM, 2015. Taj Mahal. [Online]
Available at: http://www.tajmahal.gov.com/unesco.html